K roeger Funeral Home was established in 1875 by Bernard A. Kroeger, a German immigrant to the United States. He selected Logansport because it was a thriving railroad center which had also been an important trading post on the Wabash-Erie Canal and the Eel and Wabash rivers. There was also an established German community in Cass County. (Logansport had a German language newspaper at that time.)
The first Kroeger funeral "business" was located in downtown Logansport in the 500 block of Broadway. A fire in the livery stable in 1883 necessitated moving across the street (approximately at the location of the Pharos-Tribune parking lot). In 1935 Kroeger's established the first "funeral home" in Logansport at 10th and Broadway (where the Cass County Family Y is now located).
In 1953 Kroeger Funeral Home moved to the present location at Seventh and Market Streets. This home is the former Fitch-Coleman residence, built in 1834 by Dr. (and U.S. Senator) Graham Fitch. Bricks were imported from England to build this house -- they were transported to Logansport via the Wabash-Erie Canal. Fireplaces were imported from Italy.
This notable house occupies one of the four corners in the central historic district in downtown Logansport.